I started making small angel investments to diversify asset classes, learn, open new doors, and play a small part in "closing the gap." I haven't formalized my decision process yet, but I have given some thought to a primary theme.
The top 1-10% holds the majority of equities in the US.
And the top 1% holds just 8% of consumer debt.
These are some major gaps! And I'd love to play a small role in helping to close them. So my primary angel investment theme will be focused on Closing the gap.
This doesn't mean I won't invest in anything that doesn't fit the theme. It means I'm already drawn to most things that help with these problems, even if the connection is loose at the surface.
So, most investments will fit into the fintech category (so yes, crypto/digital asset ecosystem solutions will play a big role).
- Addressing problem areas like financial literacy and helping with the basics. Earning, saving, budgeting, living below ones means, compounding, risk management, insurance, etc.
- Investment access.
- Solutions that better align incentives & decrease costs.
- Marketplaces that level the playing field.
- Infra/picks & shovels that help others build better financial products.
- SMB tools.
- Personal OpSec tools.
Personal finance is 1 of the most important topics for people (including small business owners) to grasp. Everyone is capable of learning, improving & good habits and solutions can pay outsized rewards over time. If only every 18-year-old could get hooked up with Personal Capital and be forced to read, I'll Teach you to be Rich!
I remember learning the basics myself. It works. It takes a while, but it works. I’m a chip on my shoulder type of person. Contrarian. Protect the little guy. Fight for fairness...
‘Closing the gap’ matters, and is a worthy endeavor.
- Avenify - The #1 way to pay for nursing school. The world needs more nurses. They tend to be amazing human beings! So we should encourage more to enter the field. And ISA's have the potential to align incentives much more reasonably than existing funding models.
- Barn2Door - Striving to be the OS for farmers. Less than 10% of farms in the US have tools to help them operate their business and connect with buyers.
- Bling Financial - On a mission to provide entertainment that pays you, instead of you paying to play the game. People love games and we need to continue to broaden the distribution of bitcoin holders.
- Clearco - Growth capital for online businesses. Clearco offers the most founder-friendly capital solutions for e-commerce, mobile apps, and SaaS founders as well as access to a powerful global network, insights and data, and recommendations.
- DFNS - Cloud-native developer tool that gives banks, investors, and companies the ability to operate crypto markets on a bank-grade security infrastructure. Strong custody is one of the most critical components to a healthy crypto ecosystem.
- FundRise - Access! Real estate has traditionally been one of the most sought-after asset classes for professional investors, and FundRise makes it accessible to the masses.
- Gilded - Gilded believes that the future of finance is global, open, and powered by blockchain. Gilded's invoicing, payment, and accounting software helps businesses get paid faster and more transparently, with dramatically lower fees. They enable companies to invoice in tokens, run payroll, develop treasury yield strategies, and process real-time accounting.
- MainStreet - Helps businesses claim tax credits most accountants never claim. Committed to helping all 30 million+ businesses in the US get back what they're owed so they can keep pushing us forward.
- Merits - Merit’s verified identity platform brings visibility, liquidity, and trust to people-data, giving organizations the clarity to make better informed decisions, engage with individuals effectively, and pursue their mission efficiently. Merit works with trusted private, state, and local organizations to streamline vital services.
- Republic - Access! With Republic, everyone can invest in startups with as little as $50. But that's not all. ILO's, real estate, and more.
- US Bitcoin Corp - Low-cost bitcoin mining in NA.
I'd love to hear from you if any of this piques your interest.